There are many kid friendly things to do in Derry, United Kingdom. The first is to visit the museum of Free Derry which commemorates the city’s role in the civil rights movement. The museum is located in the former home of the Derry Citizen’s Association and is free to enter. Another option is to take a walking tour of the city which includes a visit to the Bogside, an area of the city which was the site of the infamous ‘Bloody Sunday’ massacre. There are also many parks and playgrounds in the city which are perfect for children of all ages. One of the most popular is the Foyle Park which is situated on the banks of the River Foyle.
10 Fun & Kid-Friendly Things To Do In Derry, United Kingdom
1. Visit the Tower Museum- The Tower Museum is a must-see for any history lover, and especially for those interested in the history of the Troubles in Northern Ireland. The museum offers a variety of interactive exhibits that tell the story of the conflict from start to finish.
2. Stroll Along the Peace Bridge- The Peace Bridge is a beautiful pedestrian bridge that spans the River Foyle in Derry. The bridge is a symbol of hope and reconciliation, and is a great place to take a peaceful stroll and take in the views.
3. Explore the Bogside Murals- The Bogside is a working-class neighborhood in Derry with a rich history. The neighborhood is best known for its political murals, which depict the events of the Troubles from the perspective of the neighborhoods residents.
4. Visit the Guildhall- The Guildhall is one of the most iconic buildings in Derry, and has a long and rich history. The building served as the seat of local government for centuries, and now houses a museum and art gallery.
5. Take a Tour of the Bogside- The Bogside is a must-see for any visitor to Derry. The neighborhood offers a variety of tour options that allow visitors to learn about the history and culture of the area.
6. Visit the Museum of Free Derry- The Museum of Free Derry is dedicated to telling the story of the civil rights movement in Northern Ireland. The museum offers a variety of interactive exhibits that bring the history of the period to life.
7.Explore the City Walls- Derry’s city walls are the last remaining intact city walls in Ireland, and are a must-see for any history lover. The walls offer a great view of the city, and are a great place to take a walk and explore.
8. Visit St. Columb’s Cathedral- St. Columb’s Cathedral is the oldest Protestant cathedral in Ireland, and is a must-see for any visitor to Derry. The cathedral is a beautiful building, and has a rich history dating back to the 17th century.
9. Take a River Cruise- Derry is located on the River Foyle, and offers a variety of river cruises that allow visitors to take in the sights and sounds of the city.
10. Visit the local shops and restaurants- Derry is a great city for shopping, and offers a variety of unique shops and restaurants. Be sure to explore the city’s historic Bogside neighborhood for some great finds.