Dalton is a great place for kids! There are plenty of kid-friendly things to do in and around the town. For starters, the Plattsmouth State Recreation Area is a great place to take the kids for a hike or a picnic. There are also several playgrounds and parks in Dalton, including Pioneer Park, which has a splash pad for those hot summer days. If you’re looking for something a little more educational, the Dalton Museum is a great place to learn about the history of the area. There are also several family-friendly events held in Dalton throughout the year, such as the annual Dalton Days festival.
10 Fun & Kid-Friendly Things To Do In Dalton, Nebraska
1. Fort Cottonwood: This fort was built in 1864 by Nebraska volunteers to protect the settlers from Sioux Indian attacks. It is now a state historical park and offers hiking, picnicking, and interpretative programs.
2. Dalton Days: This yearly event celebrates the town’s history with a parade, craft fair, live music, and more.
3. Dalton Golf Club: This 9-hole course offers a challenging game for all levels of players.
4. Quarry Oaks Trail: This 3-mile hiking trail winds through the scenic Quarry Oaks Nature Preserve.
5. Dalton Dam: This dam on the North Platte River provides irrigation water for the surrounding farmland.
6. North Platte River: The North Platte River runs through Dalton and is a popular spot for fishing, canoeing, and tubing.
7. Legacy of the Plains Museum: This museum chronicles the history of the High Plains region with interactive exhibits and a research library.
8. Lake Maloney State Recreation Area: This state park offers boating, camping, fishing, and hiking in a beautiful setting.
9. Lincoln Highway Heritage Corridor: This corridor follows the historic Lincoln Highway through Nebraska and features interpretive signage, rest areas, and pull-offs.
10. Sandhills Journey Scenic Byway: This byway winds through the beautiful Sandhills region of Nebraska and offers stunning views of the landscape.