There are plenty of kid friendly things to do in Copake, New York! For the outdoorsy family, Taconic State Park offers camping, hiking, fishing, and swimming. Bash Bish Falls State Park is another great option for hiking and picnicking. Trails wind through the picturesque woods and past gushing waterfalls. Families can also enjoy horseback riding at Copake Hills Riding Stables.
For a more urban experience, Rhinebeck is a short drive away and offers great shopping and dining. The children’s store Once Upon a Time is a must-stop, and lunch at the Beekman Arms tavern is a historic treat. Other kid-friendly activities in Rhinebeck include visiting the Rooseveltfarm Lane’s ice cream parlor, taking a carriage ride, or exploring the grounds of the Vanderbilt Mansion.
10 Fun & Kid-Friendly Things To Do In Copake, New York
1. Take a drive to Bash Bish Falls. Bash Bish Falls is the highest waterfall in the state of New York and is located in Copake. The falls are accessible via a short hike from the parking area and are a beautiful sight to see.
2. Visit Taconic State Park. Taconic State Park offers a variety of activities for families including hiking, biking, fishing, and picnicking. The park also has a playground and a beach on Copake Lake.
3. Go apple picking at one of the many local farms. The Hudson Valley is known for its apples and there are many farms in the area that offer apple picking. This is a fun activity for the whole family and a great way to get some fresh air.
4. Visit the Columbia County Fair. The Columbia County Fair is held each year in late August and features a variety of rides, games, food, and entertainment. This is a great event for families with kids of all ages.
5. Take a scenic drive on the Taconic State Parkway. The Taconic State Parkway runs through Copake and offers stunning views of the Hudson Valley. This is a great way to see some of the area’s beautiful scenery.
6. Visit the Clermont State Historic Site. The Clermont State Historic Site is the former home of the Livingston family and offers tours of the grounds and the house. This is a great place to learn about the area’s history.
7. Go tubing on the Copake Falls. The Copake Falls are a series of waterfalls located on the Copake River. Tubing is a great way to cool off on a hot day and the views from the river are beautiful.
8. Play a round of mini golf. There are several mini golf courses in the area and this is a great activity for the whole family.
9. Go for a swim at one of the local lakes. Copake Lake, Lake Taghkanic, and Spruceton Pond are all great places to go for a swim. These lakes also offer other activities such as fishing and hiking.
10. Visit the Roosevelt-Vanderbilt National Historic Sites. The Roosevelt-Vanderbilt National Historic Sites are located in nearby Hyde Park and offer tours of the homes of Franklin D. Roosevelt and Frederick Vanderbilt.