Columbus Junction, Iowa is a great place for families with young children. There are plenty of kid-friendly activities to keep the little ones entertained, including the Columbus Junction Public Library, which offers story times and other events for kids; the C.J. Public Pool, which is open to the public during the summer months; and Riverside Park, which has a playground and a walking trail. For those looking for more of an educational experience, the Libertyville Museum and the Wapsipinicon Almanac both offer interesting exhibits and programs for children. And, of course, no visit to Columbus Junction would be complete without a stop at the famous Squealer’s Ice Cream, which has been serving up delicious treats since 1978!
10 Fun & Kid-Friendly Things To Do In Columbus Junction, Iowa
1. Take a leisurely stroll or bike ride down the Wapsipinicon River Trail. The paved trail runs along the Wapsipinicon River for nearly 4 miles and is a great way to get some fresh air and exercise.
2. Visit the Lee County Safety Center and learn all about what the police, fire, and ambulance services do to keep the community safe. Kids will love getting to sit in the police car and try on the safety gear!
3. Spend a day at the Columbus Junction City Park. The park has a playground, splash pad, basketball courts, and a sand volleyball court.
4. Visit the Columbus Junction Public Library and check out some books, movies, or video games. The library also offers a variety of free programs for kids throughout the year.
5. Head to Riverside Park and go for a swim in the pool, play some tennis, or just relax on the grassy lawn.
6. Take a trip to the Fun Center and bounce around on the inflatables, play some arcade games, or shoot some hoops.
7. Go fishing at one of the many ponds or lakes in the area. Some good spots include Twin Lakes, Pleasant Creek Lake, and Diamond Lake.
8. Visit the National Mississippi River Museum and Aquarium and learn all about the creatures that live in the river. Kids will love getting up close to the fish, turtles, and otters.
9. Stop by the Columbus Junction Farmer’s Market and pick up some fresh fruits and vegetables. The market is open from May-October.
10. Visit the Gildehaus Studio and Gallery and see some beautiful artwork created by local artists. The gallery also offers art classes for kids and adults.