Colonial Beach, Virginia, is a great place for families with young children. There are plenty of kid-friendly activities to keep the little ones occupied, including a visit to the beach, where they can build sandcastles, paddle in the waves, and search for shells. There is also a playground and a park, as well as a number of restaurants with outdoor seating, so families can enjoy a meal together while the kids play. For a more educational activity, the town’s Museum is open to the public and offers a look at the area’s history and culture.
10 Fun & Kid-Friendly Things To Do In Colonial Beach, Virginia
1. Take a dip in the Potomac River – the public beach is open from Memorial Day to Labor Day, or head to one of the many private beach clubs along the shore.
2. Visit the Boardwalk – strolling along the wooden boardwalk is the perfect way to take in the sights and sounds of the river.
3. Splash around at the Water Park – open daily from Memorial Day to Labor Day, the water park features a lazy river, slides, and a spray park.
4. Play a round of mini golf – there are two mini golf courses in town, one located next to the water park.
5. Visit the Maritime Museum – learn about the history of Colonial Beach and the Potomac River at this small museum.
6. Shop at the Farmer’s Market – open every Saturday from May to October, the farmer’s market features fresh produce, baked goods, and more.
7. Go on a dolphin cruise – depart from the public pier and keep your eyes peeled for dolphins swimming alongside the boat.
8. Rent a paddleboard or kayak – explore the river at your own pace with a paddleboard or kayak rental.
9. Take a scenic drive down River Road – this winding road offers up beautiful views of the river and the Virginia countryside.
10. Attend one of the many festivals – Colonial Beach is home to a wealth of festivals throughout the year, including the Crab Carnival and the Blessing of the Fleet.