Clitheroe is an historic market town in Lancashire, England, sitting on the River Ribble. It is in the forest of Bowland Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and is home to several parks and recreational areas perfect for families. The town’s Castle Museum tells the story of the area from prehistory to the present day, while surrounded by pretty gardens. For animal lovers, there is the British Bird of Prey Centre, where you can get up close and personal with some of the country’s most magnificent birds. And no visit to Clitheroe would be complete without taking a ride on the heritage steam train that runs through the town, offering stunning views of the Ribble Valley.
10 Fun & Kid-Friendly Things To Do In Clitheroe, United Kingdom
1. Visit the Clitheroe Castle: Clitheroe Castle is a Norman castle that was built in 1166. The castle has been designated as a Grade I listed building and is a scheduled monument. The castle is open to the public and is a popular tourist attraction.
2. Go to the Clitheroe Market: The Clitheroe Market is a weekly market that takes place on Wednesdays and Saturdays. The market has a range of stalls selling fresh produce, flowers, clothes, and more.
3. Take a Walk Around Town: Clitheroe is a small town with a historic center. There are a number of walking trails around the town which are perfect for exploring the area.
4. Visit the Churches: There are a number of churches in Clitheroe, including the Grade I listed St. Mary’s Church. These churches are worth a visit for their architecture and history.
5. Go to the Museum: The Clitheroe Castle Museum is located in the castle and is open to the public. The museum houses a range of exhibits on the history of the castle and the town.
6. Play Mini Golf: There is a mini golf course located in the town center. This is a great activity for families and kids of all ages.
7. Visit the Zoo: Ribble Valley Zoo is located just outside of Clitheroe and is home to a range of animals. The zoo is open to the public and is a great day out for families.
8. Have a Picnic: Clitheroe has a number of parks which are perfect for a picnic. The parks are also great for playing games, flying kites, and more.
9. Go Swimming: There is a public swimming pool in Clitheroe which is perfect for a summer day. The pool is also available for private hire.
10. Take a Hike: There are a number of hiking trails located around Clitheroe. These trails are perfect for exploring the surrounding countryside.