Set in the stunning canyon country of Northeastern Arizona, the town of Chinle is a great place for kids to explore and learn about the natural world. From hiking and picnicking in Canyon de Chelly National Monument to stargazing in the clear night skies, there are plenty of kid-friendly things to do in Chinle.
One of the best things to do in Chinle with kids is to explore Canyon de Chelly National Monument. This beautiful canyon is home to a wide variety of plant and animal life, and the Native American ruins that dot the canyon walls are a fascinating glimpse into the past. There are several hiking trails of varying difficulty levels, and the ranger-led programs are a great way to learn more about the area.
If your kids are interested in astronomy, they’ll be thrilled to see the dark night skies of Chinle. There are several great spots for stargazing, and the clear air provides for excellent visibility. For an added bonus, try to spot the International Space Station as it streaks across the sky!
Other great kid-friendly activities in Chinle include visiting the Hubbell Trading Post National Historic Site, playing in the park, and taking a dip in the
San Juan River. No matter what your interests, you’re sure to find plenty of fun things to do in Chinle with kids.
10 Fun & Kid-Friendly Things To Do In Chinle, Arizona
1. Visit Canyon de Chelly National Monument – This national monument is home to a number of ancient Native American ruins, petroglyphs, and stunning canyons.
2. Hike to Spider Rock – Spider Rock is a 800 foot tall sandstone spire that is a popular hiking destination in the monument.
3. Take a Jeep Tour – Jeep tours are a great way to see the monument and learn about its history and culture.
4. Go Camping – There are a number of campgrounds located in and around the monument for visitors to enjoy.
5. Go fishing – Canyon de Chelly is home to a number of trout filled streams and lakes.
6. Visit the Navajo Nation Zoo – This small zoo is located just outside the monument and features a number of native animals.
7. Ride Horses – Horses are available for rent at a number of stables in the area and are a great way to explore the monument.
8. Go ATVing – There are a number of trails in the area that are perfect for exploring on an ATV.
9. Take a scenic drive – The Monument Valley Scenic Drive is a popular route that takes visitors through some of the most beautiful scenery in the area.
10. Enjoy the night sky – The night sky in Chinle is incredibly clear and full of stars.