There are plenty of kid-friendly activities to enjoy in Chester, West Virginia. Families can explore the sprawling grounds of West Virginia Wesleyan College, take a scenic walk or bike ride along the Buckhannon River, or enjoy a meal at one of the many family-friendly restaurants in town.
Other popular kid-friendly activities in Chester include visiting the Science Center of West Virginia, the West Virginia Dance Company, or the Appalachians Children’s Theater. There’s also an annual Easter Egg Hunt and a Fourth of July celebration.
No matter what time of year it is, Chester is a great place for families to spend time together and create lasting memories.
10 Fun & Kid-Friendly Things To Do In Chester, West Virginia
1. Visit the West Virginia State Wildlife Center: The West Virginia State Wildlife Center is a great place to learn about the state’s wildlife and see some of the animals up close. There are three main areas to explore: the Nature Center, the Aquarium, and the Wildlife Exhibit. The Nature Center has interactive exhibits about the state’s ecology and a variety of live animals. The Aquarium has freshwater and saltwater tanks with fish, turtles, and other aquatic creatures. The Wildlife Exhibit has animals that are native to West Virginia, including bears, deer, and bobcats.
2. Go fishing at the West Virginia State Fish Hatchery: The West Virginia State Fish Hatchery is a great place to go fishing. There is a stocked pond with trout, bass, and catfish. The hatchery also offers tours, educational programs, and a gift shop.
3. Take a hike at The West Virginia State Arboretum: The West Virginia State Arboretum is a beautiful place to take a hike. It has over 10 miles of hiking trails, a wildflower garden, and a variety of trees and shrubs.
4. Play at the Children’s Garden at the West Virginia State Capitol: The Children’s Garden at the West Virginia State Capitol is a great place for kids to play. It has a playground, a splash pad, and a garden with flowers and vegetables.
5. Visit the West Virginia Coal Mining Exhibit: The West Virginia Coal Mining Exhibit is a great place to learn about the state’s coal mining history. It has interactive exhibits, a simulated coal mine, and a film about the history of coal mining in West Virginia.
6. Go to the West Virginia State Fair: The West Virginia State Fair is a great place to have fun. It has rides, games, food, and entertainment.
7. Visit the West Virginia Strawberry Festival: The West Virginia Strawberry Festival is a great place to buy strawberries and enjoy strawberry-themed foods and activities.
8. Take a ride on the Cass Scenic Railroad: The Cass Scenic Railroad is a great place to take a scenic train ride. The railroad has a variety of different trains, including an open-air train and a steam train.
9. Visit the West Virginia Renaissance Festival: The West Virginia Renaissance Festival is a great place to experience Renaissance-themed food, entertainment, and activities.
10. Go to the West Virginia State Museum: The West Virginia State Museum is a great place to learn about the state’s history. It has exhibits on the state’s natural history, Native Americans, pioneers, and more.