When traveling to Charleston, West Virginia with kids there are plenty of family friendly activities to keep everyone entertained. For a taste of local history, take a tour of the capitol building or one of the many historical homes. The Children’s Museum of the Kanawha Valley is a great place to spend an afternoon exploring all the hands-on exhibits. If the weather is nice, take a stroll through the beautiful Cameron Park or Ray just outside of town. For some outdoor fun, rent a paddle boat or go fishing at Kanawha State Forest. And no trip to West Virginia would be complete without a visit to the state fair in the fall. With so many things to do, Charleston is the perfect destination for a family vacation.
10 Fun & Kid-Friendly Things To Do In Charleston, West Virginia
1. Visit The Clay Center: The Clay Center is a great place to take kids of all ages. It has a planetarium, art museum, and interactive science center all in one. There is also a cafeteria on-site.
2. Take a Walk or Bike Ride on the Kanawha Riverfront: The Kanawha Riverfront is a great place to take a leisurely stroll or go for a bike ride. There are also several parks along the riverfront that are perfect for picnics or playing.
3. Attend a West Virginia Power Baseball Game: The West Virginia Power is Charleston’s Minor League Baseball team. Games are affordable and family-friendly. There are also several promotions and giveaways throughout the season.
4. Visit the Avampato Discovery Museum: The Avampato Discovery Museum is perfect for kids who love to learn and explore. There are several hands-on exhibits as well as a planetarium.
5. Take a Hike at Kanawha State Forest: Kanawha State Forest is a great place to take a hike with the family. There are several trails of varying difficulty levels, so there is something for everyone.
6. Go tubing down the Elk River: The Elk River is a great place to go tubing in the summer. There are several companies that offer tubes and shuttle services.
7. Have a picnic at Charleston Municipal Rose Garden: The Charleston Municipal Rose Garden is a beautiful place to have a picnic. It is also a great place to take a stroll and smell the roses.
8. Attend a West Virginia Symphony Orchestra Concert: The West Virginia Symphony Orchestra offers several concerts throughout the year that are perfect for families. Tickets are affordable and the concerts are high-quality.
9. Visit the Capitol Building: The Capitol Building is a great place to take kids to learn about the state government. Tours are available and it is a beautiful building to walk through.
10. Go to the Drive-In: The West Virginia Drive-In is a great place to take the family for a night out. It is affordable and there are several classic movies shown throughout the summer.