Ceglie Messapica is a town and comune in the Metropolitan City of Bari, Apulia, southern Italy. The town is located on a hill in the Murgia, at about 4 km from the Adriatic Sea. Ceglie Messapica has a long tradition as an agricultural center.Today the town is a thriving community with a lively downtown area full of shops and restaurants.
The town hosts a popular open-air market every Wednesday where farmers from the surrounding area come to sell their goods. The market is a great place to buy fresh produce and other local products.
There are several parks and playgrounds in Ceglie Messapica, making it a great place to visit with young children. The Parco dei Principi is a large park with a playground, a basketball court, and a picnic area. The Parco Rimembranza is a smaller park with a playground and a walking path.
The Civic Museum is located in the Palazzo Ducale and has a collection of artifacts from the prehistoric, Roman, and medieval periods. The museum is open Tuesday through Sunday and admission is free.
The Castle of Ceglie Messapica is a medieval castle that was built in the 13th century. The castle is open to the public and offers stunning views of the town and the surrounding countryside.
10 Fun & Kid-Friendly Things To Do In Ceglie Messapica, Italy
1. Visit the Ceglie Messapica Castle: The Ceglie Messapica Castle is a must-see for any child visiting the area. The castle dates back to the 13th century and was once the home of the Dukes of Conversano. Today, the castle is open to the public and offers tours, exhibits, and a restaurant.
2. Play at the La Grotte dei Pipistrelli: La Grotte dei Pipistrelli is a large cave located just outside of Ceglie Messapica. The cave is home to a colony of bats and is a popular spot for hiking, picnicking, and exploring.
3. Visit the Museo Civico: The Museo Civico is a small museum located in the center of Ceglie Messapica. The museum houses a collection of Roman and Greek artifacts, as well as a section on the history of the city.
4. Go for a walk in the Parco dei Normanni: The Parco dei Normanni is a large park located in the center of Ceglie Messapica. The park is home to a lake, an amphitheater, and a sculpture garden. The park is a great place to take a walk, have a picnic, or just relax.
5. Visit the Chiesa Madre: The Chiesa Madre is the main church in Ceglie Messapica. The church is a Romanesque building with a beautiful exterior and interior. The church is open to the public and offers tours.
6. Shop at the mercato: The mercato is a large market located in the center of Ceglie Messapica. The market sells a variety of goods, including fresh produce, meats, cheeses, and more.
7. Eat at a Trattoria: A trattoria is a small, family-owned restaurant. Ceglie Messapica has many trattorias that serve traditional Pugliese cuisine. These restaurants are a great option for a casual meal.
8. Drink at a Bar: Ceglie Messapica has many bars, both in the city center and in the surrounding villages. These bars are a great place to grab a drink, relax, and people watch.
9. Play at the Parco Infantile: The Parco Infantile is a small park located in the center of Ceglie Messapica. The park has a playground, a sandpit, and a small ducky pond. The park is a great place to take young children.
10. Visit the beaches: Ceglie Messapica is located just a short drive from some of the best beaches in Puglia. These beaches are perfect for swimming, sunbathing, and relaxing.