There’s no shortage of things to do for families with young children in Canistota, South Dakota. The Canistota Public Library has a weekly story time for kids, and there are also plenty of parks and playgrounds scattered throughout the city. Canistota is home to a family-friendly water park, and there are also several kid-centric businesses in town, such as a bouncy house rental company and a children’s museum. If you’re looking for something a bit more educational, the Black Hills Wild Horse Sanctuary offers tours and educational programs for kids of all ages.
10 Fun & Kid-Friendly Things To Do In Canistota, South Dakota
1. Take a scenic drive down Loess Hills State Forest Scenic Byway. This byway winds through the Loess Hills, a landscape of wind-blown grasslands and dramatic bluffs. The byway offers views of the Missouri River, as well as access to hiking, picnicking, and camping areas.
2. Visit the Children’s Museum of South Dakota. This museum, located in Brookings, is designed specifically for children. It features interactive exhibits on a variety of topics, including science, art, and culture.
3. Go for a swim at Pelican Pointe Recreation Area. This recreation area, located on the shores of Lewis and Clark Lake, offers a sandy beach, picnic areas, and a playground.
4. Take a hike on the Sioux Falls Trails. These trails wind through Sioux Falls and offer views of the city’s skyline, as well as access to parks, playgrounds, and picnic areas.
5. Explore the Great Plains Zoo. This zoo, located in Sioux Falls, features a variety of animals, as well as a petting zoo, a playground, and a splash pad.
6. Visit the Sica Hollow State Park. This state park, located in the Sica Hollow area of South Dakota, offers hiking, camping, and picnicking opportunities.
7. Go fishing at the Big Sioux Recreation Area. This recreation area, located along the Big Sioux River, offers fishing, picnicking, and camping opportunities.
8. Take a scenic drive down the Badlands Scenic Byway. This byway, located in the Badlands area of South Dakota, offers views of the Badlands National Park, as well as access to hiking, picnicking, and camping areas.
9. Play mini golf at the Rapid City Rushmore Mall. This mall, located in Rapid City, features a mini golf course, as well as a variety of shops and restaurants.
10. Visit the Sioux Indian Museum. This museum, located on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, offers a variety of exhibits on Sioux culture and history.