Calais is a port city in northern France, located in the department of Pas-de-Calais. It is the closest French city to England, and as such, is a popular destination for tourists looking to experience France without travelling too far from home. There are plenty of kid-friendly things to do in Calais, making it an ideal holiday destination for families.
The first stop for most families is the Calais Zoo, which is home to over 600 animals from all over the world. Kids will love seeing the lions, tigers, and elephants, and there are also plenty of smaller animals to see, such as monkeys, meerkats, and reptiles.
Next, take a trip to the Calais Maritime Museum, which chronicles the city’s rich maritime history. Kids will learn about the city’s fishing industry, its role in World War II, and the famous people who have sailed from Calais, such as Napoleon Bonaparte.
If the weather is nice, head to one of Calais’ many beaches. There are several to choose from, each with its own unique atmosphere. Plage des St. Jets is a popular choice for families, as it has a playground and a heated pool.
After a long day of sightseeing, relax with a cup of tea or coffee at one of Calais’ many cafes. Kids will love the generous portions of French pastries, and parents will appreciate the opportunity to rest their feet.
10 Fun & Kid-Friendly Things To Do In Calais, France
1. Take a ferry across the English Channel to visit Calais’s famous white cliffs.
2. Enjoy the view from the top of the lighthouse.
3. Visit the Museum of Lighthouse and Coastguard.
4. Climb the steps to the top of the bell tower at the Notre Dame des Haunts church.
5. Take a ride on the P&O ferries carousel.
6. Visit the Calais market and buy some fresh produce.
7. Enjoy a scoop of ice cream from one of the many ice cream shops.
8. Go for a swim at one of the beaches.
9. Visit the Port of Calais and watch the boats come in and out.
10. Take a stroll through the old town and admire the architecture.