Cairo is a great place for kids! There are so many fun and educational things to do. The Egyptian Museum is a must-see for all budding archaeologists. Kids will love seeing the mummies and learning about ancient Egyptian history. The Khan el-Khalili bazaar is a great place to explore and bargain for souvenirs. A boat ride on the Nile is a must-do while in Cairo. And no visit to Cairo would be complete without a camel ride!
10 Fun & Kid-Friendly Things To Do In Cairo, Egypt
1. Visit the Great Pyramids of Giza: The Great Pyramids of Giza are some of the most iconic ancient structures in the world. Located just outside of Cairo, these massive pyramids were built over 4,500 years ago and served as tombs for Pharaohs Khufu, Khafre, and Menkaure. Today, visitors can explore the complex, which also includes the Sphinx, the Valley Temple, and several other smaller pyramids.
2. Take a felucca ride on the Nile: A felucca is a traditional Egyptian sailing vessel. Taking a ride on one of these boats is a great way to relax and enjoy the scenery along the Nile River.
3. Visit the Cairo Zoo: The Cairo Zoo is one of the largest zoos in the Middle East and is home to over 1,600 animals. Visitors can see a variety of animals, including lions, tigers, elephants, and giraffes. The zoo also has a botanical garden with over 3,000 species of plants.
4. Explore the Egyptian Museum: The Egyptian Museum is one of the largest museums in the world and houses over 120,000 artifacts. Visitors can see a wide range of ancient Egyptian items, including mummies, statues, and jewelry.
5. Visit the Mosque of Muhammad Ali: The Mosque of Muhammad Ali is a beautiful 19th-century mosque located in the Citadel of Cairo. The mosque is notable for its massive size and intricate design. Visitors can explore the mosque, which also includes a museum, garden, and library.
6. Ride a camel at the Giza Pyramids: One of the best ways to explore the Giza Pyramids is on the back of a camel. Camel rides are available for a fee and allow visitors to get a different perspective of the pyramids.
7. Visit the Hanging Church: The Hanging Church is a Coptic Christian church that is one of the oldest churches in Egypt. The church is named for its location on top of the gatehouse of an old Roman fort. Visitors can explore the church, which has a unique architecture and is decorated with beautiful Coptic frescoes.
8. See the cats of Cairo: Cairo is home to a large population of stray cats. These cats can be seen throughout the city and are a popular tourist attraction.
9. Visit the Khan el-Khalili Bazaar: The Khan el-Khalili Bazaar is a large market located in the Islamic district of Cairo. The bazaar is a great place to find souvenirs and to experience the vibrant atmosphere of Egyptian markets.
10. Go on a desert safari: A desert safari is a great way to experience the Egyptian desert. Safari tours typically include a visit to an oasis, a camel ride, and a traditional Egyptian meal.