Brits is a small town in the North West Province of South Africa. It is approximately 70 kilometres north-west of Johannesburg and 40 kilometres west of Pretoria. Brits is surrounded by large farms on which various crops are grown, the most notable being tobacco, maize, wheat, livestock and dairy. The area also has many game farms and lodges.
The Hartbeespoort Dam is popular for water sports, fishing, picnicking, hiking, bird watching and a cable car ride to the top of the dam wall. The Lion Park and De Wildt Cheetah Centre are nearby. The BritsHistory Museum is located in an old style market building in the centre of town and the Van Gaalen Cheese Farm is a working farm and restaurant where you can learn how they make their cheese and enjoy a meal.
For the kids, there is the Brits Arts and Crafts Centre where they can make their own pottery or buy locally made arts and crafts. There is also a putt-putt course and a playground at the Brits Waterfront. For something different, you can visit the nearby Willem Pretorius Game Reserve to see zebra, eland, kudu, red hartebeest, wildebeest, blesbok, impala, and many more animals.
10 Fun & Kid-Friendly Things To Do In Brits, South Africa
1. Visit the Bona Bona Game Reserve
2. Go on a Safari at the Kruger National Park
3. Visit the Blaauwberg Nature Reserve
4. Take a walk or cycle through the Vrede en Lust Wine Estate
5. Visit the Cheetah Outreach Centre
6. Have a picnic at the Zwartkopjes Dam
7. Take a scenic walk or cycle through the Riebeek Kasteel Wine Estate
8. Visit the Meerkat Magic Conservation Area
9. Play at the De Hoop Dam Nature Reserve
10. Visit the Aquila Private Game Reserve