Bancroft, West Virginia is home to a variety of kid-friendly activities. The town offers a playground, a swimming pool, a splash pad, and a variety of parks. There are also several museums in the area, including the Bancroft Museum of Natural History and the West Virginia Coal Mining Museum. Additionally, the Bancroft Library offers a variety of programs for kids, including story time and a summer reading program. For those looking for even more outdoor fun, the Bancroft area is home to several hiking trails, including the Appalachian Trail.
10 Fun & Kid-Friendly Things To Do In Bancroft, West Virginia
1. Visit the Grave Creek Mound Archaeological Complex. This historical site includes a 56-foot-tall Native American burial mound, an on-site museum with exhibits on the local Adena culture, and a research center. A visit to the complex is a great way to learn about the area’s rich history and culture.
2. Take a scenic drive through the Monongahela National Forest. This forest spans nearly 1 million acres and is home to a wealth of wildlife and plant life. The scenic drives through the forest are a great way to take in the beauty of the area.
3. Check out the West Virginia State Wildlife Center. This center is home to a variety of indigenous wildlife, including bears, elk, deer, and bison. The center also offers a variety of educational programs and events.
4. Hike or bike the Allegheny Highlands Trail. This multi-use trail stretches for nearly 70 miles through some of the most scenic parts of West Virginia. The trail is perfect for a leisurely hike or an invigorating bike ride.
5. Explore the Harrison coal mine. The Harrison coal mine is a historic site that offers tours of the underground tunnels and exhibits on the local coal mining history. A visit to the mine is a great way to learn about a vital part of West Virginia’s history.
6. Visit theCass Scenic Railroad State Park. This state park features a restored steam locomotive that takes visitors on a scenic tour of the hills and hollows of West Virginia. The park also features a museum and a variety of hiking trails.
7. Go fishing in one of the many streams and lakes in the area. West Virginia is home to a number of great fishing spots, including the famed trout streams of the Monongahela National Forest. A day of fishing is a great way to relax and enjoy the beauty of the area.
8. Take a whitewater rafting trip down the New River. The New River is one of the best whitewater rafting rivers in the country and offers a thrilling experience for rafters of all skill levels.
9. Go horseback riding in the Monongahela National Forest. The forest is home to a number of equestrian trails and horseback riding is a great way to take in the natural beauty of the area.
10. Visit the Bancroft Mill House. The Bancroft Mill House is a historic gristmill that is now home to a museum and a working waterwheel. A visit to the mill house is a great way to learn about the area’s industrial history.