Axochiapan is a beautiful town in central Mexico, known for its Weaver’s Market and vibrant textiles. There are many kid-friendly things to do in and around Axochiapan. The town is home to a number of parks, including the Rincon de Romelia National Park, where you can hike and explore the stunning scenery. The nearby Lagunas de Zempoala National Park is perfect for a day of picnicking and swimming, and is also home to a variety of wildlife. For a taste of Mexican culture, be sure to visit the local market, where you can buy handmade goods and delicious food. You can also take a day trip to the nearby city of Cuernavaca, where you can explore the city’s colonial history and visit the beautiful Palace of Cortes.
10 Fun & Kid-Friendly Things To Do In Axochiapan, Mexico
1. Visit the archeological site of El Tajin: El Tajin is an ancient Mesoamerican city that was once a major center of the region. The site is home to a number of well-preserved ruins, including the Temple of the Sun, the Temple of the Niches, and the Ballcourt.
2. Take a dip in the Cascadas de Tamul: The Cascadas de Tamul are a series of waterfalls located in the Sierra Madre Oriental mountain range. The cascades range in height from 30 to 100 feet and offer a refreshing spot to cool off on a hot day.
3. Hike to the top of Cerro Rabon: Cerro Rabon is a peak in the Sierra Madre Oriental range with sweeping views of the surrounding countryside. The hike to the summit is moderate in difficulty and takes about two hours to complete.
4. Travel back in time at the Museo del Ferrocarril: The Museo del Ferrocarril is a museum dedicated to the history of the Mexican railway system. The museum is located in an old railway station and features a number of artifacts and exhibits.
5. Ride the Tequila Express: The Tequila Express is a scenic train ride that takes passengers through the heart of the tequila-producing region of Mexico. The ride includes a stop at a tequila distillery where passengers can learn about the production process and sample the finished product.
6. Visit the Casa de Juarez: The Casa de Juarez is the former home of Mexican president Benito Juarez. The house is now a museum that contains a number of Juarez’s personal belongings as well as furniture and artwork from the 19th century.
7. Sample some traditional Mexican foods: Axochiapan is home to a number of traditional Mexican restaurants that offer a taste of the local cuisine. Popular dishes include mole poblano, chiles en nogada, and tamales.
8. Take a stroll through the Jardin Botanico: The Jardin Botanico is a large botanical garden that features a number of different plant species from all over the world. The garden also has a number of sculptures and fountains.
9. Go horseback riding: Horseback riding is a popular activity in Axochiapan and there are a number of stables located around the town. Horses can be rented for hourly rides or for longer excursions into the surrounding countryside.
10. Relax at Lake Cuitzeo: Lake Cuitzeo is a large artificial lake located just outside of Axochiapan. The lake is popular for swimming, fishing, and boating. There are also a number of beaches located around the lake where visitors can relax in the sun.