Athens is a great place for kids! There are plenty of things to do to keep them entertained. The first stop should be the Henderson County Heritage Museum. It’s a great place to learn about the history of the area and see some really cool exhibits. The museum is located in the old Athens Courthouse, which is a historic landmark in itself.
Next, head over to the Athens Scenic Railway. This is a really fun ride for kids of all ages. The train departs from the historic Grand Prairie Depot and takes you on a tour of the beautiful countryside. You’ll see some amazing views of the lake and the surrounding countryside.
After that, take the kids to the Athens Zoo. They’ll love seeing all the animals and learning about the different species. The zoo has a great variety of animals, from lions and tigers to bears and monkeys.
Last but not least, don’t forget to visit the Athens State Park. This is a great place to hike, picnic, and just spend time outdoors. The park has a great view of the lake and the surrounding countryside. There’s also a playground for the kids to enjoy.
10 Fun & Kid-Friendly Things To Do In Athens, Texas
1. Take a tour of the Athens Scuba Park and Pool- The Athens Scuba Park and Pool offer tours of their facilities for a small fee. Visitors can take a dip in the pool, go for a swim in the lake, or take a scuba diving lesson.
2. Visit the Henderson County Historical Museum- The Henderson County Historical Museum is a great place to learn about the history of Athens and the surrounding area. The museum offers a variety of exhibits on local history, as well as a research library.
3.Explore the East Texas Arboretum and Botanical Society- The East Texas Arboretum and Botanical Society is a great place to learn about the plants and animals that call East Texas home. The arboretum offers a variety of walking trails, gardens, and exhibits.
4. Take a ride on the Athena Railway- The Athena Railway offers a variety of scenic train rides through the East Texas countryside. The railway also offers a variety of special event trains, such as the Easter Bunny Express and the Santa Express.
5. Visit the Athens Municipal Zoo- The Athens Municipal Zoo is home to a variety of animals, including bears, tigers, lions, and reptiles. The zoo also offers a variety of educational programs and events.
6. Catch a movie at the Athens Cineplex- The Athens Cineplex is a local movie theater that offers a variety of blockbuster movies and independent films. The cineplex also offers a variety of concession options and a game room.
7. Go fishing at Lake Athens- Lake Athens is a great place to go fishing, swimming, or just enjoy the scenic views. The lake is also home to a variety of fish, including bass, catfish, and crappie.
8. Play a round of golf at the Athens Country Club- The Athens Country Club is a great place to play a round of golf or just enjoy the scenic views. The country club also offers a variety of dining and social options.
9. hiking at the Purtis Creek State Park- The Purtis Creek State Park offers a variety of hiking trails, camping sites, and picnic areas. The state park also offers a variety of educational programs and events.
10.Visit the Athens Farmer’s Market- The Athens Farmer’s Market is a great place to buy fresh produce, flowers, and other goods from local vendors. The market is open year-round and offers a variety of seasonal products.