Athens, Illinois is a great place for kids! There are plenty of kid-friendly activities to keep them busy, like visiting Allsup’s Rainbow Orchard, going on a hayride at P.J. Orchards, or taking a trip to the Animal House Zoo. For a little more excitement, they can catch a movie at the Orpheum Theatre or bowl a few frames at Pla-Mor Lanes. When it’s time to relax, they can enjoy a sweet treat at the local ice cream shop, Lil’ Bit of Heaven, or explore the great outdoors at Rock Springs Conservation Area. No matter what they’re looking for, kids are sure to have a blast in Athens!
10 Fun & Kid-Friendly Things To Do In Athens, Illinois
1. Take a dip in the city pool! The Athens Municipal Pool is open to the public during the summer months and is a great place to cool off on a hot day.
2. Visit the Athens Public Library! The library has a great selection of books for kids of all ages, plus they offer free story time sessions every week.
3. Attend a Athens Farmers Market! Athens Farmers Market is open from May through October and is a great place to buy fresh, locally grown produce.
4. Watch a movie at the Athens Drive-In Theatre! The theatre is open seasonally and is a great place to enjoy a classic film with the family.
5. Take a hike at Cookiecutter Nature Preserve! Cookiecutter Nature Preserve is a great place to explore the outdoors and see some of the area’s wildlife.
6. Play at one of Athens’ many parks! The city has several parks that offer a variety of amenities, including playgrounds, picnic areas, and walking trails.
7. Visit the Eureka College Museum! The museum is free to the public and features a variety of exhibits on the history of the college and the area.
8. Go fishing at Lake Athens! Lake Athens is a great place to fish for bass, catfish, and other fresh water fish. A fishing license is required for those over the age of 16.
9. See a show at the Iron Horse Children’s Theater! The theater offers a variety of performances throughout the year that are sure to entertain the whole family.
10. Enjoy a treat from one of Athens’ ice cream shops! There are several ice cream shops in town that offer a variety of flavors to choose from.