Arecibo is a municipality in Puerto Rico (U.S.) located in the northern coastal plain, about 50 miles west of San Juan. The town has a wide range of kid-friendly activities, from visiting the Arecibo Observatory and going on safari at the Arecibo Zoo, to playing in the waterfalls at the Recreational Area of the Dam and exploring the Rio Abajo State Forest.
One of the highlights for kids in Arecibo is a visit to the Arecibo Observatory, which is the world’s largest single-dish radio telescope. There is a visitors center with interactive exhibits about the science of astronomy, and tours of the facility are offered.
The Arecibo Zoo is another popular attraction for families with kids. The zoo has over 500 animals, including lions, tigers, and elephants, and offers safari-style tours in open-sided vehicles.
For kids who like to play in the water, the Recreational Area of the Dam is a great spot. There are several waterfalls here, as well as a swimming pool, picnic areas, and hiking trails.
And finally, the Rio Abajo State Forest is a nature lover’s paradise, with over 16,000 acres of hiking trails, bird watching, horseback riding, and more.
10 Fun & Kid-Friendly Things To Do In Arecibo, Puerto Rico
1. Run, play, and explore at the Arecibo Lighthouse & Historical Park – The Arecibo Lighthouse is the tallest lighthouse in the Caribbean and has been an attraction in Puerto Rico for over 150 years. Visitors can climb the spiral staircase to the top of the lighthouse for panoramic views of the Arecibo coastline. The adjacent historical park is a great place for kids to run around and explore.
2. Visit the Arecibo Observatory – The Arecibo Observatory is the largest single-dish radio telescope in the world and is a popular tourist destination in Puerto Rico. Visitors can take a guided tour of the facility and learn about the science and history of the observatory.
3. Go fishing at the Arecibo Marina – The Arecibo Marina is a great place to go fishing with the kids. There are a number of charter boats available for hire and the marina staff can help you arrange a trip.
4. Play at the Arecibo Waterpark – The Arecibo Waterpark is a great place to take the kids for a day of fun in the sun. The waterpark features a number of slides and pools for the kids to enjoy.
5. Visit the Arecibo Zoo – The Arecibo Zoo is a small zoo located in the city of Arecibo. The zoo features a variety of animals from Puerto Rico and the Caribbean.
6. Take a hike through the Rio Abajo State Forest – The Rio Abajo State Forest is a large forest located just outside of Arecibo. The forest features a number of hiking trails for visitors to explore.
7. Go swimming at the La Plata Beach – La Plata Beach is a beautiful sandy beach located just outside of Arecibo. The beach is perfect for swimming, sunbathing, and picnicking.
8. Take a tour of the Arecibo Lighthouse Museum – The Arecibo Lighthouse Museum is a small museum located in the lighthouse complex. The museum features exhibits on the history of the lighthouse and the Arecibo area.
9. Visit the Casa Sotomayor Historic House – The Casa Sotomayor Historic House is a beautiful historic home located in the center of Arecibo. The house is open for tours and features exhibits on the history of the Arecibo area.
10. Learn about the local culture at the Arecibo Cultural Center – The Arecibo Cultural Center is a great place to learn about the local culture and history of Arecibo. The center features a number of exhibits and cultural events.