There are plenty of kid-friendly activities to enjoy in Arcos de la Frontera, Spain. The city is home to several parks, including the Parque de la Victoria and the Parque de San Roque, which are perfect for a day of picnicking and play. The Museo del Bandolerismo is also a great option for a family outing, as it offers interactive exhibits on the history of bandits and outlaws in the area. For a more active day, kids can enjoy horseback riding at one of the many local stables, or go hiking or biking in the nearby Sierra de Grazalema Natural Park. And of course, no visit to Arcos de la Frontera would be complete without taking a stroll through the historic old town, which is dotted with chic cafes, shops, and plazas.
10 Fun & Kid-Friendly Things To Do In Arcos De La Frontera, Spain
1. Visit the Castle of Arcos de la Frontera – The Castle of Arcos de la Frontera is a Moorish fortification located in the town of Arcos de la Frontera, in the province of Cadiz, Andalusia, Spain. The castle sits atop a hill overlooking the Guadalete River and the town below. It was built in the 8th century by the Moorish rulers of Spain and was later expanded by the Christian kings of Castile. The castle has a series of defensive walls, towers, and gates, as well as a keep, a chapel, and a palace. It is open to the public and is a popular tourist destination.
2. Explore the Old Town – Arcos de la Frontera’s Old Town is a maze of narrow streets and alleyways lined with picturesque houses, shops, and churches. The town’s main square, Plaza de Espana, is a lively gathering place where locals and visitors alike can enjoy a cup of coffee or a meal at one of the many outdoor cafes. The Old Town is also home to the town’s main church, Iglesia de Santa Maria, a beautiful Gothic structure built in the 14th century.
3. Visit the Arcos de la Frontera Museum – The Arcos de la Frontera Museum is located in the town’s Old Town. The museum houses a collection of artifacts and artworks from the town’s history, including a scale model of the castle, and a section on the local bullfighting tradition. The museum is open daily and admission is free.
4. Watch the Sun Set from the castle walls – One of the best ways to experience the Castle of Arcos de la Frontera is to watch the sun set from its walls. The castle offers stunning views of the town below and the Guadalete River. Visitors can also enjoy the sunset from one of the many restaurants and cafes located in the Old Town.
5. Hike to the Mirador de Arcos – The Mirador de Arcos is a viewpoint located just outside of town. The hike to the mirador (viewpoint) is a moderate to strenuous trek, but the views of Arcos de la Frontera, the Guadalete River, and the surrounding countryside are well worth the effort.
6. Take a Bike Tour of the Countryside – Arcos de la Frontera is located in the heart of Andalusia, making it the perfect starting point for a bike tour of the Andalusian countryside. There are numerous bike trails in the area, ranging from easy to challenging.
7. Go Horseback Riding – Andalusia is well-known for its beautiful Spanish horses, making it the perfect place to go horseback riding. There are several stables in Arcos de la Frontera that offer horseback riding lessons and trail rides.
8. Play Golf – Arcos de la Frontera is home to a 18-hole golf course, making it the perfect place to tee off. The course is located just outside of town and offers stunning views of the surrounding countryside.
9. Visit a Winery – Arcos de la Frontera is located in the heart of Andalusia’s wine country. There are several wineries in the area that offer tours and tastings.
10. Go Whitewater Rafting – The Guadalete River, which runs through Arcos de la Frontera, is the perfect place for whitewater rafting. There are several rafting companies in town that offer half-day and full-day trips.