If you’re looking for kid-friendly fun in Ankeny, Iowa, you’ll find plenty to keep the little ones entertained. The Ankeny Community Center is a great place to start, with its indoor pool, gymnasium, and playground. The Ankeny Zoo and the Ankeny Art Center are also popular destinations for families. For outdoor fun, kids will love exploring the Ankeny Bike Trail and hiking the trails at Saylorville Lake. For a day of learning, visit the Science Center of Iowa or the Iowa State Fairgrounds. And no trip to Ankeny would be complete without a stop at the High Trestle Trail Bridge, where you can walk or bike across a half-mile-long trail high above the Des Moines River.
10 Fun & Kid-Friendly Things To Do In Ankeny, Iowa
1. Go to the Ankeny Community Aquatic Center! The Aquatic Center has a zero-depth entry pool with a water play structure, a six-lane, 25-yard competitive pool, and a separate diving well with two one-meter springboards. There is also a whirlpool and sauna for adults, and a concession stand.
2. Visit the Ankeny Market & Pavilion! The Ankeny Market & Pavilion is open from May to October and features over 30 vendors selling a variety of items, including fresh produce, flowers, baked goods, and more.
3. Check out the Ankeny Art Center! The Art Center features two galleries, a gift shop, and studios for ceramics, printmaking, and photography. They offer a variety of classes for all ages, and host several events throughout the year.
4. Play at the Ankeny Centennial Park & Recreation Complex! The park has a playground, a splash pad, a basketball court, a volleyball court, a disc golf course, walking trails, and more.
5. Go for a swim at the Ankeny Centennial Park Pool! The pool is open from Memorial Day to Labor Day and features a diving well, a water slide, and a concession stand.
6. Rent a kayak or canoe and paddle down the Des Moines River! You can rent kayaks and canoes from the Ankeny Parks & Recreation Department, and they also offer stand-up paddleboard rentals.
7. Take a hike or bike ride on the Des Moines River Trail! The trail runs for nearly 7 miles through Ankeny, and is a great way to get some exercise and enjoy the outdoors.
8. Visit the Saylorville Lake Visitors Center! The Visitors Center has exhibits on the history and ecology of the lake, and also offers ranger-led programs and hikes.
9. Go fishing at Saylorville Lake! The lake is stocked with a variety of fish, including bass, catfish, and walleye. You can fish from the shore, or rent a boat from the marina.
10. Play a round of golf at the municipal golf course! The course is open to the public and features 18 holes, a pro shop, and a snack bar.