Alfred is a great place for families with young children. There are plenty of kid-friendly things to do, including visiting the local library, going for walks in the park, and exploring the hiking trails. The Alfred community also hosts a number of events throughout the year that are perfect for families, such as the Annual Easter Egg Hunt and the Halloween Parade. Alfred is a wonderful place to raise a family and provide a safe and fun environment for kids to grow and learn.
10 Fun & Kid-Friendly Things To Do In Alfred, Maine
1. Visit the historic Alfred Shaker Village for a look into the past. This living history museum is set on 500 acres of land and is a great way to learn about the Shakers and their way of life.
2. Take a walk or hike through one of Alfred’s many beautiful parks. There are miles of trails to explore, and you might even spot some wildlife along the way.
3. Visit the Alfred Water Treatment Plant to see how your drinking water is made. This tour is both educational and fun, and kids will love seeing the giant machines that clean and filter the water.
4. Learn about farming at the Kennebec River Ranch. This working ranch offers tours and demonstrations that show how they raise chickens, pigs, and cattle.
5. Visit the Maine State Prison Showroom to see how prison inmates make crafts that are sold to the public. You’ll be amazed at the talent and skill of the inmates, and the showroom has a great selection of items for sale.
6. Stroll through downtown Alfred and browse the unique shops. There’s something for everyone, from antique stores to art galleries.
7. Have a picnic lunch at one of Alfred’s many scenic locations. There are plenty of park benches and picnic tables to choose from, or you can bring a blanket and find a spot in the grass.
8. Go for a swim at one of Alfred’s public beaches. Both Lake St. George and Canoe Lake offer great swimming and beachcombing opportunities.
9. Take a ride on the Alfred Railroad. This historic train offers rides through the countryside, and you might even see some wildlife along the way.
10. Visit the Alfred Toy Library to borrow toys and games for the kids. This is a great way to try out new toys without having to buy them, and it’s perfect for rainy days.