There are plenty of kid friendly activities to enjoy in Abomey-Calavi, Benin! The Zinsou Foundation Art Centre is a great place to spend an afternoon with the family.The centre holds rotating art exhibitions, and often has interactive activities for kids to enjoy. The Fonds Héritage Museum is another great option for a family outing. The museum has a kids section, with coloring books and educational materials about Benin’s history and culture. For a more active afternoon, head to the Abomey-Calavi Sports Complex. The complex has a swimming pool, tennis courts, and a soccer field. There is also a playground for younger children. And if you’re looking for a truly unique activity, check out the Royal Palace of Abomey. The palace is the former home of the Kings of Dahomey, and is now a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
10 Fun & Kid-Friendly Things To Do In Abomey-Calavi, Benin
1. Visit the Royal Palaces of Abomey: The Royal Palaces of Abomey are a designated UNESCO World Heritage Site and offer a glimpse into the history and culture of the Kingdom of Dahomey. The palaces are well-preserved and the grounds are beautiful, making it a great place to explore for both adults and kids.
2. Take a Tour of the Palace Museum: The Palace Museum is located within the Royal Palaces of Abomey and offers a fascinating look at the history, culture, and art of the Kingdom of Dahomey. The museum is kid-friendly and has a variety of interactive exhibits.
3. Go on a Wildlife Safari: Benin is home to a variety of wildlife, including lions, hippos, and crocodiles. There are several safari companies that offer tours of the country’s national parks and reserves, making it a great activity for kids and adults alike.
4. Visit the St. Augustine Cathedral: The St. Augustine Cathedral is the largest cathedral in West Africa and a beautiful example of Gothic architecture. The cathedral is open to visitors and offers tours for those interested in learning more about its history.
5. Explore the Port of Cotonou: The port of Cotonou is the largest in West Africa and a major hub for trade and commerce. The port is open to visitors and offers a variety of activities, including boat tours and fishing.
6. Visit the Cotonou Zoo: The Cotonou Zoo is located near the port of Cotonou and is home to a variety of animals, including lions, tigers, and elephants. The zoo is a great place to take kids for a day of animal-watching and education.
7. Take a Hike in Pendjari National Park: Pendjari National Park is a designated UNESCO World Heritage Site and one of the best places in Benin to see wildlife. The park offers a variety of hiking trails and is a great place to get away from the hustle and bustle of the city.
8. Visit the National Museum of Benin: The National Museum of Benin is located in the capital city of Porto-Novo and offers a look at the history, culture, and art of the country. The museum is kid-friendly and has a variety of interactive exhibits.
9.Explore the Koutammakou Landscape: The Koutammakou landscape is a designated UNESCO World Heritage Site and is one of the most beautiful places in Benin. The landscape is home to a variety of animals, including the endangered Koutammakou rat, and offers a variety of hiking trails.
10. Swim at the Natitingou Waterfalls: The Natitingou Waterfalls are located in the town of Natitingou and are a great place to cool off on a hot day. The waterfalls are surrounded by lush vegetation and offer a variety of swimming holes to choose from.