Abingdon is a town in Washington County, Virginia, United States, and is the historical county seat of the county. The town is also the site of the Abingdon Muster Grounds, the place where the first transcontinental telephone call was made, and is the birthplace of the late U.S. Senator Harry F. Byrd. The Abingdon Historic District is one of the U.S. National Register of Historic Places listings in Washington County.
Abingdon is located at the junction of Interstate 81 and U.S. Route 11. It is on the banks of the South Fork Holston River. The town is served byAbraham Lincoln Airport, a general aviation airport.
Some kid-friendly activities in Abingdon include visiting the Virginia Creeper Trail, fishing in the South Fork Holston River, going on a nature hike at the Wolf Creek Environmental Education Center, visiting the William King Museum of Art, and touring the Abingdon Muster Grounds.
10 Fun & Kid-Friendly Things To Do In Abingdon, Virginia
1. Visit the Abingdon Muster Grounds – The Abingdon Muster Grounds are a great place to take the kids for a day of fun. There are plenty of activities to keep them busy, including a playground, a petting zoo, and a variety of historical reenactments.
2. Stroll Through The Martha Washington Inn & Spa – The Martha Washington Inn & Spa is a beautiful historic hotel that offers a variety of kid-friendly amenities. Kids will love exploring the grounds, which include a playground and a garden.
3. Take a Hike on the Appalachian Trail – The Appalachian Trail is a great place to take the family for a hike. There are plenty of trails to choose from, and the views are simply incredible.
4. Visit the William King Museum – The William King Museum is a great place to take the kids to learn about the history of Abingdon. The museum offers a variety of interactive exhibits, and kids will love the hands-on activities.
5. Go for a Swim at The Virginia Creeper Trail – The Virginia Creeper Trail is a popular spot for families to go for a swim. The trail offers a variety of swimming holes, and the views are simply breathtaking.
6. Embark on a Scenic Train Ride – The Virginia Creeper Trail is also home to a scenic train ride that kids will love. The train ride takes you through some of the most beautiful scenery in the area, and kids will love waving to the passing trains.
7. Go Fishing at The Abingdon Fish Hatchery – The Abingdon Fish Hatchery is a great place to take the kids for a day of fishing. The hatchery offers a variety of fishes, and kids will love trying to catch them.
8. Visit The Barter Theatre – The Barter Theatre is a popular theatre that offers a variety of kid-friendly shows. The theatre also offers a variety of educational programmes, making it a great place to take the kids to learn more about the performing arts.
9. Play Miniature Golf at The Virginia Highlands Golf Course – The Virginia Highlands Golf Course is a great place to take the kids for a game of miniature golf. The course offers a variety of challenging holes, and kids will love trying to get a hole in one.
10. Go for a Bike Ride on The Virginia Creeper Trail – The Virginia Creeper Trail is a great place to take the kids for a day of biking. The trail offers a variety of routes, and kids will love exploring the different scenery.