If you’re a lip gloss enthusiast, you know that the stuff isn’t cheap. Good, high-quality lip gloss can easily cost upwards of 10 bucks a pop. And if you prefer to use all-natural brands of lip gloss, the price is even higher.
Fortunately, you don’t have to break the bank to feed your lip gloss obsession. Lip glosses of all kinds can be made right in the comfort of your own home. And best of all, it won’t cost you an arm and a leg to do it.
The key, however, is to make sure that you are using the right recipe. Oh, there is plenty of lip gloss content online that swears to offer the best recipes. Upon closer inspection of the ingredients, though, it’s clear that not all lip glosses are created equally.
That’s why we wanted to make sure that you know how to make your own lip gloss using the safest and most effective ingredients. By using our guide, you can trust that your homemade lip gloss will consist of natural ingredients that are safe to use.
No more synthetic ingredients that could potentially leave your lips irritated. Our non-toxic recipe will ensure that your lips look and feel their best. So join us as we share the secret recipe that cosmetic companies don’t want you to know about.
How Do You Make Lip Gloss at Home?
This recipe typically yields a baker’s dozen, meaning you’ll be left with about 13 tubes of lip gloss. Each tube equals 10mL. If you don’t require so much lip gloss at once, you can certainly reduce the ingredients. Conversely, you can also increase the ingredients to make even more lip glosses.
If you want to start out small, take the following amounts and use only a quarter of the ingredients. In doing so, you should end up with about 4 tubes of homemade lip gloss; a humble effort that will serve to give you a feel for the process.
Before we get started, you’re going to need to round up a few ingredients. It’s unlikely that you’ll have everything listed here in your home, so plan on making a store run.
- Vitamin E capsules (D-alpha-tocopherol Vitamin E) – 3 capsules
- Cocoa butter or shea butter – 2 tablespoons
- Lip gloss tubes or containers (10mL each)
- Cosmetic grade beeswax – 2 tablespoons
- Grapeseed oil or olive oil – 4 tablespoons
- Unrefined coconut oil – 2 tablespoons
Furthermore, you may elect to pick up the following essential oils to add to the homemade lip gloss recipe.
- Rose Red mica powder – 1/8 teaspoon
- Lavender essential oil – 3 drops
- Orange essential oil – 6 drops
Making DIY Lip Gloss
- Start with your grape seed oil or olive oil, cocoa or shea butter, coconut oil, and beeswax. Add each ingredient to a glass measuring cup; preferably, one with a spout that makes for easy pouring.
- Next, fill a pot with about two inches of water and place your glass measuring cup in the water. The goal is to create a double boiler that will help melt the beeswax, butter, and oil.
- Using medium heat, heat the water enough to where it causes the ingredients in the glass measuring cup to melt. This should take between 10 and 15 minutes.
- Then, add the 3 vitamin E capsules. Don’t toss in the whole vitamin E capsule, though. You want to break or cut each one so that you can dump the powder in with your melted ingredients. Most capsules can easily be twisted apart at the center. However, there are some that are incredibly difficult to break free, so it may be quicker just to cut it.
- How it’s time to add your essential oils and mica powder if you opted to include them in the lip gloss recipe. The red mica powder is a safe mineral powder that serves to give your homemade lip gloss an attractive color.
- You can choose to add a little or a lot of red powder; it’s entirely up to you how dark or light you want your DIY lip gloss to be. This will also add color to your lips after application, so keep this in mind when adding red mica powder.
- The essential oils are, well, essential for masking the natural smell of homemade lip gloss. Without the oils, your DIY lip gloss will smell like honey and chocolate. This is due to the beeswax and cocoa butter ingredients.
- If you decide to forego and coloring or oils, your homemade lip gloss will look somewhat beige in color. However, no color will show up on your lips after application.
- Now, mix everything together until it is one seamless mixture.
- Pour the new mixture into your lip gloss tubes.
- Let the lip gloss containers cool after they’ve been filled.. About 20 minutes should do it.
When you choose to make your own lip gloss, you can get creative with the taste by substituting different ingredients. For example, instead of using shea butter, use cocoa butter for a chocolatey taste. Furthermore, you can use honey in the lip gloss recipe for a slightly sweeter taste.
A word to the wise about using honey: Because it is heavier than all of the other ingredients combined, it’s crucial that you add it with the rest of the ingredients while they are still in the double boiler (glass measuring cup).
While the water is boiling, add honey and let it evenly combine with the rest of the lip gloss recipe. This will ensure that everything mixes well before pouring your homemade lip gloss into the tubes.
Adding honey at any other time will cause it to separate and sink to the bottom of the lip gloss containers. It’s also worth noting that if you don’t use your homemade lip gloss fairly quickly after pouring it into the tubes, the honey may still sink to the bottom.
Adding Other Flavors
Some people like to add other ingredients to their DIY lip gloss. This is certainly something you can try, but please keep in mind that even natural flavorings contain solvents or additives that aren’t the best for your lips.
Still, if you don’t have a problem with natural flavoring, feel free to add whatever you like most to this lip gloss recipe.
What Ingredient Makes Lip Gloss Glossy?
Glossiness comes from the oils (grapeseed or olive oil and coconut oil). If you wish to make your DIY lip gloss even more glossy, you might try adding a little bit of extra oil. Just remember that you will need to counterbalance the lip gloss recipe with more beeswax.
This will help prevent your homemade lip gloss from becoming too runny and oily. Beeswax serves as a solidifier and will ensure that your DIY lip gloss recipe makes for easy application.
What Are the Best Ingredients for Lip Gloss?
Vitamin E oil or capsules is an excellent ingredient, as it contains antioxidants that help keep your lips looking healthy. All other ingredients are completely safe to use on your lips. However, in terms of healthy properties, vitamin E is going to be the most beneficial.
It’s worth noting, too, that all of the components you add to your homemade recipes is going to be much safer than anything you buy from the store.
Super Easy Homemade Lip Balm Recipe
Want to add color to your lips using safe, non-toxic ingredients? All you need is 15 minutes and items that you likely already have in your home. This recipe is great if you have kids who don’t like wearing conventional lip balms.
If you and your family often struggle with chapped lips during the winter months, you’re going to love this kid-friendly DIY project. Best of all, it’s super easy to make and fun for the whole family. If you’re looking for something fun to do together, this recipe will be a hit.
All you need is some petroleum jelly, cosmetic containers, and Kool-Aid. you can use Kool-Aid packets or the large jars of powder. All that matters is that you have different types of Kool-Aid to work with, as the flavors and colors are what you’re really after.
- Start by putting one tablespoon of petroleum jelly in a microwave-safe bowl. Set the bowl in the microwave and nuke it for one to two minutes. Depending on how powerful your microwave is, you may need to keep an eye on the contents to make sure that you don’t overdo it.
- You want to make sure that the petroleum jelly liquefied. When ready, take it out of the microwave and pour a single packet of Kool-Aid into the bowl. If you don’t have individual packets, measure out 0.16 ounces of Kool-Aid powder and dump it in with the liquefied petroleum jelly.
- Next, start stirring the contents of the microwave-safe bowl until the Kool-Aid and jelly are well mixed. Please note that the Kool-Aid will not completely dissolve in the jelly. This is totally normal and all part of the creation process.
- When you are satisfied with the mixture, slowly pour it into your cosmetic containers until all are full. It might be easier and less messy if you use a spoon to transfer the homemade lip balm mixture into the cosmetic containers.
- There are likely to be some sediments left over at the bottom of the bowl that didn’t fully dissolve. Simply discard this.
- Now, let your homemade lip balms cool for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Wear and enjoy!
Homemade Lip Gloss Tips
If you’re having a hard time getting your DIY lip gloss to come out just right, fear not. We are here to help and walk you through your troubles.
One of the biggest challenges people face as they learn how to make lip gloss is that their DIY lip gloss turns out really oily and runny. This is likely due to an imbalance in the ingredients used in the recipe.
If you keep finding that your DIY lip gloss is too runny to apply to your lips, try adding more beeswax. The beeswax acts as a base and will help keep your DIY lip gloss more consistent with over-the-counter lip glosses.
Conversely, if your DIY lip gloss is coming out too thick, you can try using less beeswax in your mixture. Instead of using a whole tablespoon, try using 1/2 tablespoon.
Another issue people have when they want to make lip gloss is that they can’t find any empty lip gloss containers. Lip gloss making is a fun project, but if you don’t have anything to put the finished product in, it’s kind of pointless.
If you can’t find any suitable containers at your local drug store, Amazon is going to be your best bet. There, you can order bulk amounts of containers that are specifically designed for lip glosses and the like.
Save Money Online
Best of all, you get a huge discount when you buy from Amazon. Last we checked, they had several container options to choose from, each varying in quantity and quality. You can get 40 empty containers for less than $5. Keep in mind that these are just the squeeze tube type.
If you want a heavier-duty option, less than $10 will get you 25 high-quality containers. These even have individual brushes in each glass container. You also get funnels for easy pouring, so you’re definitely getting your money’s worth.
Some people who make lip gloss at home have discovered that you can substitute olive, coconut, or grapeseed oil for other food-grade oil. While this is true, please keep in mind that using a different kind of carrier oil will alter the taste of the DIY lip gloss.
It can also affect the smell, as the odor that this recipe currently provides is pretty inconspicuous and pleasing. You can always try different essential oils if you have to use a different carrier oil than what is recommended in this recipe. Just play around with different scents until you find the combination that is most pleasing to you.
Homemade Lip Gloss Benefits
As you can see, making your own homemade lip gloss is an affordable option that is sure to save you a sizable sum of money. Let’s look at some of the other benefits you can look forward to when you make lip gloss at home.
Free From Harmful Additives
It’s no secret that cosmetics contain additives from various sources. When you make lip gloss, you know exactly what’s going into your creation. This is especially crucial if you have young children who like to wear lip gloss.
When you make your own lip glosses and lip balm, you are in control of what your children are putting on their lips. You will have the peace of mind that all of those harmful chemicals and additives used in over-the-counter cosmetic products are far from your children.
What’s more, if you or your children are allergic to certain ingredients in DIY lip gloss, you can actively avoid such ingredients to ensure that no one has any reactions to wearing lip gloss. Although safe and all-natural, there are some components that could cause skin irritation.
Since you are the one choosing what items you use in your DIY lip balm or gloss, you can avoid anything that you and your family have trouble safely wearing.
Choose Your Own Colors
One of the reasons that lip gloss is so popular is due to its wide range of colors and flavors available. Many people who wear lip gloss understandably enjoy the taste and aroma that come from the various lip products you buy in stores.
When you make lip gloss at home, you can play around with the various recipes until you find the components that you like the best. Which essential oil provides the best smell? What natural powders result in the most appealing color?
This also makes for a fun family activity with you and your children. Try out different ingredients to see which tastes and flavors suit you best.
Just remember to stick with all-natural items. That is what makes homemade lip balm and gloss so appealing. It’s safe, effective, and a lot of fun to experiment with. Feel free to try different natural colorings. You’ll be amazed at how creative and unique your lip glosses can be with a little bit of trial and error.
Safer and Better
Homemade lip gloss provides better cover and protection for your lips when compared to over-the-counter products. As a result, your lips will feel softer and healthier by avoiding those cosmetic store-bought products.
What’s more, thanks to the natural components used in homemade lip balm and gloss, you will benefit from glossier, more attractive lips.
Homemade Lip Gloss Disadvantages
Although the benefits far outweigh the disadvantages, it’s only fair that you know what downsides there are to homemade lip balm and gloss. In knowing what to expect, you can work to combat any negative aspects of making your own cosmetic products at home.
Let’s be honest; you’re going to need to set aside some time to make lip balm and gloss at home. You first need to go to the store to buy the items necessary for making lip gloss. You also will have to wait for any orders to arrive, such as empty lip gloss containers.
Fortunately, once you have everything in front of you, the creation process is relatively quick and easy. In any event, you’ll still have to carve out some time to put it all together.
There’s a good chance that your first run-through will end with less-than-stellar results. This is normal, however, and happens to almost everybody. It takes some time and training to figure out the best formula for the right consistency.
Don’t get discouraged, though. Most people are able to get their homemade lip gloss recipe down to a science after a couple of tries. Above all, have fun with it. Soon, you will be rocking your best homemade lip gloss creation yet.
Since DIY lip balm and gloss don’t have preservatives in them, your homemade creations aren’t going to last very long. As such, you will likely have to wear your creations quickly to get the most enjoyment out of them.
Due to this, it is advised that you don’t make a whole lot up at once. To start, just fill one lip balm tube and one lip gloss tube. This will allow you to get a feel for how long yours lasts. Once you have determined their lifespan, you will know how much you can safely make up at one time.