|December 8, 2013||Posted by Carrie under Running|
So many things – so little time to sit and write things down… a few updates
1. The Turkey Trot – oops, I guess this was already 10 days ago… Dude and I ran our local Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving morning. He did awesome! Several of his friends joined in on the run, so we all let the boys run together. They did great and pushed each other to finish strong. It was a 3 mile fun run with no official time. I don’t think the timer started accurately, but they all finished in under 30 minutes. Dude said he felt like he could have pushed harder and is now expressing interest in running an officially timed race in a few months (Super Bowl Sunday). Cool! He really enjoyed it. I had a good run, too. Finishing in 33:33 according to my watch.
(how is it that I just now see the tree growing out of my head?)
2. Medical update – the injection in my ankle is really kicking in and I have almost no pain. My toe, on the other hand doesn’t seem to be so happy. Although it’s been 2 months since that injection, so it was successful to a point. I’m learning a good deal about arthritis and how there is such a variety of symptoms, types and treatments. Basically, I have arthritis in the toe joint. It really only affects a small amount of movement. The bone spur is likely my body’s reaction to the arthritis and it’s trying to protect itself. My doctor is willing to let me go for as long as I feel that the pain is tolerable and then we’ll try a cortisone injection again. He said that 4 months is an ideal time. It’s really not much of a big deal at the moment, but I do think that the inflammation is slowly creeping back up. I probably talk about this way more than it’s really an issue – but I do still have to avoid movement that flexes my toes. The doctor did say to continue with my running and whatever I’m doing. So that’s good.
3. On that end, I’m finally back up to running 3 days a week. I’m trying to have 2 runs be 30-45 minutes and then a long run on the weekend. I’m loving that Dude has a sports practice several nights a week, so at least one night is a perfect time to get in a run. I even remembered that I have a headlamp from the RnR Vegas race, so I ran last week with a light and felt rather comfy with my new routine, even though I struggled with finding a good spot to hold the lamp on my forehead. Yesterday, I ran for an hour at a slow and steady pace (5 miles) and had a great run. So things are feeling great.
(me and my headlamp)
4. I’m trying to work in yoga to my weekly workout routine. I recently downloaded a new yoga app and am excited to try it out this week.
5. Two fun blogger opportunities: I was invited to try a spin class at a new facility a few weeks ago and am excited to share that with you all in the coming days. And, I was given the chance to participate in a challenge with some other bloggers with an at home fitness option. I’m excited to share that with you over the next few weeks as I get it going.
I think that catches up with some things. Oh – and congratulations to Elle from Eat, Run, Sail – the winner of Peace, Love and Low Carb’s Cookbook Giveaway. I hope you all took a moment to like Peace, Love and Low Carb on Facebook – Kyndra frequently offers great discounts on her books and shares recipes too.
If you run in the dark, do you use a headlamp? How do you keep the thing on your head?