10 Running Tidbits
|October 15, 2012||Posted by Carrie under Running|
10 Running Tidbits
I saw this on my blogger friend Kyria’s blog over the weekend. I loved it and wanted to
steal share it with you. By the way, Kyria ran the Nike Women’s Marathon yesterday, along with a whole slew of other amazing ladies. Congratulations to all of you.
1. FUEL: Shot Bloks, GU, Energy Chews, Candy or Other? I like Cliff Blocks, I like to be able to take one every few miles and spread them out. I recently bought some Honey Stinger Waffles, but have yet to try them.
2. Race Length: 5k, 10k, 1/2 Marathon, Marathon, Ultra or Other? 10K – I’ve only raced that distance twice, it seems like a hard distance to find. It’s a perfect blend of speed and distance and isn’t enough to totally wipe me out for a weekend. I’ve never run longer than a half-marathon, so I can’t comment on a full or longer.
3. Workout Bottoms: Skirts, Running Shorts, Capris, Pants or Other? I usually run in capris, but will go to shorts when it’s hot for a long run or a race. I have a pair of compression shorts from Road Runner that I like and also a pair of compression capris from there. Both are comfy.
4. Sports Drink: Gatorade, Powerade, Cytomax, you stick to water when you run or Other? I’m a Nuun fan. I typically bring some along on runs longer than 8 miles, but almost always drink a glass when I get home after any distance. I’ve grabbed other drinks in races and not had a problem if it’s a small amount, but I’d rather not.
5. Running Temperatures: HEAT or COLD? I’m a whimp. I’d like somewhere in the middle – hey, I’m a So Cal girl and like my non-seasons. I really think I’d pick heat. That’s probably because I never have to deal with real heat or even much humidity living where I do. So, don’t make me move ever, please.
6. Running Shoe Brands: Saucony, Mizuno, Nike, Brookes, Asics or Other? I used to only run in Saucony, but now I have a pair of Brookes that I love. I still use my Saucony’s for cross training and walking and my Brookes for running. The Brookes have ample toe room and just make my feet happy. My Saucony’s are rather threadbare at the moment, I can’t wait to use up the Brookes a little more so they’re ready for cross training duty.
7. Pre-race meal: Oatmeal, Bagel, Banana, Eggs, Cereal or Other? Pre-long run meal is usually a banana with peanut butter, so I do the same for races. Sometimes I’ll have toast and nut butter at home and then bring a banana along for closer to the race. Post-race is 99% certain it will be pancakes.
8. Rest Days: 1x per week, 2x per week, never ever ever or Other? Normally I rest 1 day a week. I only run 3 days a week and do something else the other 3. There are weeks with 2 rest days, but then sometimes they’re very active rest days.
9. Music: Have to have it or go without it? It doesn’t always have to be music, but when I’m alone I have something plugging away in my ears. When I first started running longer distances, I listened to audio books and would only allow myself to listen to them when running, so I’d motivate to run. Now I go for podcasts more often than music. During a race – it’s always music.
10. #1 reason for running: stress-relief, endorphins, you love to race, so you can eat all the cupcakes you want, weight-loss, love running for social reasons or Other? I’d really say all of the above. I run to set goals for myself and reach for them. I also like that it keeps me on task as far as taking care of my body – in all aspects.
Don’t forget to vote! Vote for lots of blogs every day – lots of my friends are on there – pretty amazing group.
And don’t forget to enter my Daily Dose of Green giveaway – it’s the final 3 days.
If you run, pick a question to answer in the comments! If you don’t run, answer anyway! What’s your go to breakfast? Are you a music person?